[R] R-question

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 12:41:12 CET 2009

Let's assume that you are running on a system with 2GB of memory.  All
of R's data is held in memory and I would suggest that no single
object have more that 25% of memory.  That would suggest that 500MB
for a single object would be a reasonable limit.  If you are working
with something like 2M rows of numeric data (each element takes 8
bytes), then you should be able to handle about 32 columns in the
matrix without much trouble.  If you have a 64-bit version of R, then
the limit is how much you want to spend on memory.