[R] Problem with capabilities() in R2-8.1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 10 07:50:43 CET 2009

capabilities("iconv") does work in R 2.8.1 on Window (for me and many,
many otherss, as well as on the machine that ran 'make check'), so you
have done something to your installation.  Most likely you have
somehow mixed it up with a much earliier version of R for which the
error message would have been true. so if you have any uch version
installed, please remove it.  Then try starting R with --vanulla,
since you may hav ebeen picking up libraries containing packages from
earlier versions.

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Marcus, Jeffrey wrote:

> I just installed R 2.8.1 on Windows XP. When I ran the "source" command,
> I got the error:
>
> Error in capabilities("iconv") :
>  1 argument passed to .Internal(capabilities) which requires 0
>
> I looked at the code for source and it indeed has a call to
> capabilities("iconv")
>
> if (capabilities("iconv")) {
>            if (identical(encoding, "unknown")) {
>                enc <- utils::localeToCharset()
>                encoding <- enc[length(enc)]
>            }
>

> So then I ran capabilities itself:
>

>> capabilities("iconv")
> Error in capabilities("iconv") :
>  1 argument passed to .Internal(capabilities) which requires 0
>
> I made sure that I hadn't by accident aliased either "source" or
> "capabilities" by doing
> find("source")
>
> find ("capabilites")
>
> and both came back with package::base.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's only a partial test.  searchpaths() will show where you loaded
capabiliites() from.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk