[R] repeated measures anova, sphericity, epsilon, etc

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:52:24 CET 2009

Hi Paul,

Note that in your example subject/myfactor is conflated with the error
term.  The error thrown when you use intervals on the lme object is a
result:

> am2 <- lme(dv ~ myfactor, random = ~1|subject/myfactor, data=mydata)
> intervals(am2)
Error in intervals.lme(am2) :
  Cannot get confidence intervals on var-cov components: Non-positive
definite approximate variance-covariance

Also it's worth pointing out that the REML approach used by lme has
some advantages.  For example:

- It is not sensitve to lack of balance in the design
- Variance estimates are restricted to the parameter space (i.e. no
negative variance estimates)
- Allows for estimation of parameters to model non-constant variance
within or between subjects via the weights argument.
- The correlation argument allows for estimation of correlation
structures when, for example, observations within subjects are
temporally or spatially correlated.

Kingsford Jones