[R] Question on Variables

David1234 danielthurm at web.de
Sat Mar 7 15:52:54 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

Im quite new to R an I have the following Question:

I would like to define Variables which I can add and multiply etc. and that
R can simplyfy the terms.

The variables should stand for integers.
For example I would like to have an entry in an array with variable   z
and if I  add    b+z    the field should now contain 2z+b.  Or if the field
contains   1    and I add    z    the field should contain 1+z.

How can I solve this problem?

I tried to set z=integer and then for example matrix[1,1]=i
But this does only work if I assign a value for z first.

I am very grateful for any help.

Thank you very much!

David