[R] Interaction term not significant when using glm???

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 7 11:57:17 CET 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, joris meys wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a dataset where the interaction is more than obvious, but I was asked
> to give a p-value, so I ran a logistic regression using glm. Very funny, in
> the outcome the interaction term is NOT significant, although that's
> completely counterintuitive. There are 3 variables : spot (binary response),
> constr (gene construct) and vernalized (growth conditions). Only for the FLC
> construct after vernalization, the chance on spots should be lower. So in
> the model one would suspect the interaction term to be significant.
>
> Yet, only the two main terms are significant here. Can it be my data is too
> sparse to use these models? Am I using the wrong method?

The point estimate for the interaction term is large: 1.79, or an odds ratio of nearly 6.

The data are very strongly overdispersed (variance is 45 times larger than it should be), so they don't fit a binomial model well. If you used a quasibinomial model you would get no statistical significance for any of the terms.

I would say the problem is partly combination of the overdispersion and the sample size.  It doesn't help that the situation appears to be a difference between the FLC:yes cell and the other three cells, a difference that is spread out over the three parameters.

      -thomas