[R] R on netbooks et al?

chaogai chaogai at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 7 09:15:53 CET 2009

Johannes Huesing wrote:
> chaogai <chaogai at xs4all.nl> [Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 07:04:19PM CET]:
>
>> I'm having similar experiences on my Acer Aspire One. Everything will
>> work good. Only thing that takes a lot of time is compiling R if you are
>> in the habit of doing so.
>>

> On the Fedora version that came with my Acer Aspire One, I am even thinking of
> compiling R itself as the current R version is 2.6.0 ...
>
> Otherwise, everything seems fine and the keyboard is indeed the greatest
> letdown so far (the tiny left mouse button a close second).

I did do that. Most practical is to get the R-devel from the
repositories. It is the wrong version, will bring what you need to build
regarding other dependencies. Then remove R-devel and you can get your
2.8.1 sources from CRAN.
Not sure about the exact names of the things. Now happy on Suse 11.1
after a brief fling with the Fedora 10.