[R] R on netbooks et al?

Michael A. Miller mmiller3 at iupui.edu
Thu Mar 5 16:46:29 CET 2009

    > I've got R on my little EeePC as well. Great for most jobs
    > and I highly recommend a DC/DC convertor for plugging into
    > your car's cigarette lighter to get around the crap battery
    > problem.

I run R on my Eee PC as well - no problems there.  At less than
$400 US and just barely larger than my copy of Venables and
Ripley, it has been real value.  Eee PC 1000HA, >5 hour battery
life (I've never used it long enough to run out of juice), 95%
sized keyboard (a bit cramped), dual 1.6GHz atom processors, 140
Gbyte drive, 1 Gbyte ram, R, emacs, IDL, TeX/LaTeX, cygwin,
python, openoffice, acrobat, msoffice.  Plus, with external
monitor, keyboard and mouse, it functions well as a full
workstation for me at home.

Mike