[R] Problem using RMySQL and fCalendar

Elizabeth Nichols betsy.nichols at plexlogic.com
Thu Mar 5 11:45:40 CET 2009

Hello:
I am trying to use fCalendar for date arithmetic and the RMySQL package
for accessing a MySQL database.   The fCalendar math operations seem to
work fine UNTIL I load the RMySQL package.  Here is a demonstration:

ean at fibonacci:~/Desktop/amCharts/rsa-metrics$ R

R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

 Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

 > library(fCalendar, pos=2)  # For date math
Rmetrics Package fUtilities (290.76) loaded.
Rmetrics Package fCalendar (270.78.2) loaded.
The new version of 'fCalendar' has been renamed to 'timeDate'
 > dt<-"1947-06-13"
 > myFC<-"America/NewYork"
 > DT<-timeDate(dt, zone=myFC, FinCenter=myFC)
 > DT + 3600
America/NewYork
[1] [1947-06-13 01:00:00]
 > library(RMySQL, pos=4)     # For db access
 > DT + 3600
Error in `+.timeDate`(DT, 3600) :
 no slot of name "Data" for this object of class "timeDate"
In addition: Warning message:
In `+.timeDate`(DT, 3600) :
 trying to get slot "Data" from an object (class "timeDate") that is not
an S4 object

As you can see, I can do date arithmetic (DT + 3600) before I load the
RMySQL package but not after.  The "pos" arguments to the library()
calls are an unsuccessful attempt to get R to use the Rmetrics fCalendar
package that works instead of whatever gets loaded by RMySQL.

I have Googled until my fingers turned blue and I can't find any useful
information to fix this.  Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
eanichols