[R] R on netbooks et al?

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at wzw.tum.de
Thu Mar 5 10:31:39 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 08:47:25AM +0000, herrdittmann at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> With the rise of netbooks and 'lifestyle laptops" I am tempted to
> get one of these to mainly run R on it. Processor power and hard
> disk space seem to be ok. What I wonder is the handling and feel
> with respect to R.
>
> Has anyone here installed or is running R on one of these, and if
> so, what is your experience? Would it be more of a nice looking
> gadget than a feasable platform to do some stats on?

I have R on my ASUS eeePC 1000H under Debian Linux and it works just
fine. In my opinion the most limiting thing is the small keyboard.
Everything else (RAM, Screen, CPU power) is what you would expect
given the specs: Not the platform of choice for large-scale number
crunching or writing elaborate programs but certainly good enough to
do a little work on the train/plane/hotel/...

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl für Genomorientierte Bioinformatik