[R] modifying a built in function from the stats package (fixing arima)

Marc Anonym manonym at acompany.com
Thu Mar 5 10:00:58 CET 2009

>If you ***look at the code*** for arima you will see that ``%+%'' is
>defined
>in terms of a call to ``.Call()'' which calls ``R_TSconv''.  So
>apparently
>R_TSconv is a C or Fortran function or subroutine in a ``shared
>object library''
>or dll upon which arima depends.  Hence to do anything with it you'll
>need to get
>that shared object library and dynamically load it.  (E.g. get the
>code, SHLIB it,
>and dynamically load the resulting shared object library.)

>The code is all available from the R source tarball.

>If this is a challenge for you then the best advice would be not to
>mess with it.

Hi Rolf,
It took me some time to come to the same conclusion (I didn't even know what
.Call() was) but I've found an easier way to modify the R file without
having to understand how to link dlls. I just downloaded the full R package,
Rtools and followed the instructions in
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Building-the-core-files
to build it. Then I can modify C:\R\src\library\stats\R\arima.R and run it.
It is quite exagerated that I have to build R in order to modify an R file
without messing with dlls, and I think it would be interesting to make this
process easier, but for now I'm happy to be productive again.

Thank you all for your help,

Best,
MarC