[R] readline in vi mode on OSX

Dave Murray-Rust d.murray-rust at ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 4 18:13:50 CET 2009

Hi All,

This is a slightly arcane question, but I'm wondering if anyone else
uses vi mode with R? On my platform, across several versions, there is
some broken behaviour. When executing commands like 'df)' (to delete
up to the next bracket) the cursor moves to the next ), but nothing is
deleted. In general, many delete/replace commands work only as movement.

Has anyone else come across this, and if so, did you find a fix?

The same commands work correctly on the command line, so I'm assuming
R has it's own built in version of readline, which is causing problems.

I'm currently running R2.8.1 on OSX 10.5.6, but the bug has been there
for both R and OSX upgrades. It isn't present on Linux.

Cheers,
dave

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.