[R] R - MATLAB apply like function

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 10:06:30 CET 2009

ARDIA David <david.ardia <at> unifr.ch> writes:

> Dear all,
> I very often use the R function "apply", for speedup purposes. I am now also
> using MATLAB, and would like to use the same kind of function.
> I have already asked MATLAB people, and the answer is : "vectorize"... but of
> course, this is not always possible. So, instead of using a FOR loop all the
> time, I tried using the bsxfun.

The only other Matlab functions I can come up with of are 'arrayfun',
'structfun', and 'cellfun'. For instance,

  arrayfun(@(x)isequal(x.f1, x.f2), S)

applies an anonymous function to a structure array.

But think of it, loops in Matlab are much faster than in R -- especially since
version 2008a --, so the need for avoiding them is not as big.

Regards,  Hans Werner