[R] locfit smoothing question (package maintainer not reachable)

Suresh Krishna madzientist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:39:44 CET 2009

Dear all,

I just realized that using family="qgauss" restores normal-looking
confidence bands... I read that using family="gaussian" rather than
family="qgauss" fixes the dispersion parameter at 1, but without knowing
the theory behind the code, I dont understand why there is such a
difference between the two. If there is a simple explanation or
recommendation, I am eager to hear it.

Thanks, Suresh