[R] xlsReadWrite package repository for Ubuntu

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Mar 3 14:38:16 CET 2009

You perhaps missed the key point in Uwe's response, which is that the
package is only available under Windows, as it depends upon Windows
specific functionality (MS Office API via a third party library which is
available for Windows only) to natively read and write Excel files.
Thus, there is no package version available for Linux, or OSX for that
matter.

If you need to read Excel files under Linux, you could look at the
read.xls() function in the 'gdata' CRAN package. This package requires
that Perl be installed, as it calls a Perl routine (xls2csv) for
converting the Excel file to a CSV file, which can then be read into R.

If you need to write Excel files under Linux, you can use a Perl routine
that I had posted back in 2007:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-July/135968.html

and have updated since then to handle Unicode issues. I am attaching a
2k text file here with the updated routine.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz