[R] gamm (mgvc) and time-varying coefficient model

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 14:43:54 CET 2009

Looks correct to me. You get a smooth of time for each level of "x", so the
smooths describe the way in which each coefficient of x varies in time.

Note that the time varying coefficient for some level of a factor is actually
given by the sum of the smooth for that factor level, and the estimate of the
coefficient for that factor level from the parametric part of the model. For
this reason it might actually be slightly better to use model formula:

y ~  factor(x) + s(time, by=factor(x)) - 1

which will ensure that the coefficients for factor(x) are directly
interpretable as the `average' values of the coefficents for each factor
level.

best,
Simon