[R] Using very large matrix

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Mon Mar 2 14:47:25 CET 2009

I'm very interested in the bigmemory package for windows 32-bit
environments.  Who do I need to contact to request the Beta version?

Thanks
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147

             Corrado
             <ct529 at york.ac.uk
             Sent by:                  john.emerson at yale.edu, Tony Breyal
             r-help-bounces at r-         <tony.breyal at googlemail.com>
             project.org                                                cc
                                       r-help at r-project.org
                                                                   Subject
             03/02/2009 10:46          Re: [R] Using very large matrix
             AM GMT

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately, the R package I have to sue for my research was only
released
on 32 bit R on 32 bit MS Windows and only closed source ....  I normally
use
64 bit R on 64 bit Linux .... :)

I tried to use the bigmemory in cran with 32 bit windows, but I had some
serious problems.

Best,

On Thursday 26 February 2009 15:43:11 Jay Emerson wrote:
> Corrado,
>
> Package bigmemory has undergone a major re-engineering and will be
> available soon (available now in Beta version upon request).  The version
> currently on CRAN
> is probably of limited use unless you're in Linux.
>
> bigmemory may be useful to you for data management, at the very least,
> where
>
> x <- filebacked.big.matrix(80000, 80000, init=n, type="double")
>
> would accomplish what you want using filebacking (disk space) to hold
> the object.
> But even this requires 64-bit R (Linux or Mac, or perhaps a Beta
> version of Windows 64-bit
> R that REvolution Computing is working on).
>
> Subsequent operations (e.g. extraction of a small portion for analysis)
are

Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk