[R] Bold Face in Plot

Rau, Roland Rau at demogr.mpg.de
Mon Mar 2 14:46:06 CET 2009

Dear all,

I am trying to plot some text in bold face which works fine:

plot(0:1,0:1,type="n")
text(x=0.5, y=0.5, labels=expression(bold("the-actual-string")))

Now when I try to do the following, the displayed text reads thestring:

thestring <- "the-actual-string"
plot(0:1,0:1,type="n")
text(x=0.5, y=0.5, labels=expression(bold(thestring)))

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I assume it is rather simple
but I am stuck somehow.

Thanks in advance,
Roland

P.S. I tried it using ("ancient") R 2.7.0 on Windows32 and version 2.8.1
on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 8.10).

This mail has been sent through the MPI for Demographic Research.  Should you receive a mail that is apparently from a MPI user without this text displayed, then the address has most likely been faked. If you are uncertain about the validity of this message, please check the mail header or ask your system administrator for assistance.