[R] Using regular expressions to detect clusters of consonants in a string

Greg Hirson ghirson at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 30 18:29:44 CEST 2009

Mark,

"Abstraction" also has a valid two consonant cluster ("ct"). Some logic
could be added to reject words that have valid twos if they also have
longer strings of consonants.

This may work as a starting off point, using strsplit:

twocons = function(word){
    chars = strsplit(word, "[aeiou]")
    conlengths = lapply(chars, nchar)
    numtwos = sum(conlengths[[1]] == 2)
    return(numtwos)
    }

words = c("test", "hello", "fail", "pass", "assess")

lapply(words, twocons)
[[1]]
[1] 1

[[2]]