[R] (performance) time in Windows vs Linux

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Tue Jun 30 03:20:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

I. Soumpasis wrote:
> 2009/6/29 C騷ar Freitas <cafanselmo12 at yahoo.com.br>
> This is true. So I tried the same computer with windows XP and ubuntu 8.10
> 64bit dual core @3Gz and 4MB RAM
> Windows 32bit results:
>    user  system elapsed
>   21.66    0.02   21.69
> Linux 64bit Results
>    user  system elapsed
>  27.242   0.004  27.275
>
> This difference is small and it is truly explained by what the advanced
> users have said.

One minor comment which I forgot to mention is that a difference of 6
seconds for system that ran 30 seconds is worth noting, but may not be
statistically significant.  Especially when we're now talking about two
completely different OS' and, thus, two different ways of timing a
program.  If whatever data file you are using is also on a different
file system, then one could be fragmented, etc.

My point is that your test might be true (and others have given you
reasons for it), but also don't worry too much about it...  :-)

Ray