[R] Lattice and high-resolution tiffs

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Mon Jun 29 13:51:28 CEST 2009

r-help.20.trevva wrote:

> I am trying to produce high-resolution (600dpi+) TIFF figures for use
> in a publication. Everything seems to work well when using the
> "normal" R-graphics and the relative text size obtained is independent
> of the output resolution. However, when I try and make lattice plots,
> the relative size of the text labels changes when I adjust the
> resolution - they become extremely small at high resolution. Some
> sample code is attached below - as you will see, the text in the low
> resolution plot is as expected, whilst that in the high-resolution is
> there, but very very small.

This feature has driven me mad several times, I use a radical approach now:
Always create ps output only, and use Ghostscript to do the conversion for
publication (if they need tiff, nowadays pdf is much more convenient).

And is you have troubles figuring out the right command line syntax: try the
utility Ghostfriend (Windows only).

Dieter