[R] (performance) time in Windows vs Linux

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Mon Jun 29 09:13:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

milton ruser wrote:
> In fact I have a quadcore. But how can I know if Linux are really using only
> one core, and how can I setup it to use the 4cores?

I don't know the answer in the context of R -- I didn't know that R can
use multiple cores by default?  But in general, I use "htop", whose man
pages describes it as:  "This program is a free (GPL) ncurses-based
process viewer."

It is a colored version of "top", essentially.  At the top of the
screen, you will see your 4 cores represented as percentages.  Under
Setup, add "Processor" to the list of options and then "CPU" will appear
as a column, which if you have 4 cores, the values will vary from 1 to 4.

If you want to check if R is running on more than one core, then
obviously R should appear more than once and with two different values
under CPU.

Ray