[R] How to read a specific dataset, not the entire data, from HDF5?

Felix Andrews felix at nfrac.org
Sat Jun 27 03:48:57 CEST 2009

Hi DH

I recommend the rgdal package, which provides R bindings for the
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL). This does handle HDF5,
according to the list at http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

I have not ever used HDF5 myself, but that it what I would try.

-Felix

2009/6/27 Daehyok Shin <sdhyok at gmail.com>:
> Hi. Recently I am working for  a project to generate massive numeric data.
> After storing them in HDF5 using PyTables, we are trying to use R for
> data analysis and visualisation.
> Surprising to me, however, I could not find a R package to allow the
> reading of a specific dataset (or its slide) in a HDF5 file.
> I found I can read and write only the entire data using hdf5 package
> and I could not locate rhdf5 in bioconductor.
> Each dataset is huge, so selecting a specific dataset is a mandatory
> function for my project.
> Could you give me a hint for the solution? Thanks.
>
> --
> DH

Felix Andrews / 安福立
Post-Doctoral Fellow
Integrated Catchment Assessment and Management (iCAM) Centre
Fenner School of Environment and Society [Bldg 48a]
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia
M: +61 410 400 963
T: + 61 2 6125 1670