[R] panel.text and saving to pdf

Willem Vervoort w.vervoort at usyd.edu.au
Fri Jun 26 06:50:51 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have some unexplained behaviour when saving a lattice graph including text to a pdf file. The text seems to move around. It must have something to do with the way coordinates are set in devices other than jpg.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Willem

Here is some example code

setwd("c:/willem/research/misc")
today <- format(Sys.Date(),"%Y%m%d")

x <- runif(500)
y <- rnorm(500)

foo <- data.frame(x = x, y = y, z = rep(c("a","b"),250))
require(lattice)

xyplot(x~y|z,data=foo)
panel.text(370,470,"silly graph",cex=1.2,font=2)
savePlot(paste(today, "jpgplot",sep="_"),type="jpg") # this plots fine and text is as on the screen
savePlot(paste(today, "pdfplot",sep="_"),type="pdf") # text has moved

pdf(paste(today,"pdfplot2.pdf",sep="_")) # no difference using pdf
xyplot(x~y|z,data=foo)
panel.text(370,470,"silly graph",cex=1.2,font=2)
dev.off()

# There is also no difference

               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          9.0
year           2009
month          04
day            17
svn rev        48333
language       R
version.string R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)

Dr. R.W. Vervoort
McCaughey Senior Lecturer Hydrology and Catchment Management
Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources,
Bldg A04, The University of Sydney, NSW 2006
http://tinyurl.com/mccaughey
http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/waterhydrosu
ph: +61 2 9351 8744
fax: +61 2 9351 4953