[R] The gradient of a multivariate normal density with respecttoits parameters

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Jun 24 17:28:08 CEST 2009

Karl,

I have written a function to compute the gradient of a multivariate normal
density (derivatives at a given point, with respect to the parameters of the
density).  It is in the atttached file.  I would appreciate any feedback.

There are couple of interesting points:

1.  Note is that there is a minor adjustment needed to the formulas given by
Dwyer (Table 2, Eqs. (11.7 and 11.8) to account for the symmetry in the
derivatives of the covariance parameters.  Without this adjustment the
derivatives of covariances are off by a factor of 2.

2.  I couldn't figure out how to avoid inverting the covariance matrix for
Eq. (11.7), using `solve(sigma)'.  I would appreciate knowing if there is a
trick for doing this.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu