[R] CRAN: 64 bit OS X Leopard build

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 13:39:28 CEST 2009

This thread really belongs on R-sig-mac!  I am answering here since if
people are going to ask here, some general information would be
appropriate, but PLEASE follow up only on R-sig-mac.

The CRAN Mac OS X page is a little confusing.  The main CRAN
distribution of R is for Mac OS X 10.4 and later and has i386 and ppc
architectures.  That is what is in R-2.9.0.dmg, and the appropriate
binary packages are in the subdirectory 'universal'.

Then there are builds on http://r.research.att.com/.  These include a
'leopard build' at http://r.research.att.com/R-2.9.0.pkg, which has
i386, x86_64, ppc and ppc64 architectures.  The confusion is that the
'leopard' directory on CRAN has binary packages for *that* build.
(Note that the r-release and r-devel links are outdated in that
directory.)

Note that there are no distributed '64 bit builds': each build has a
collection of architectures.

However, as far as I recall (I normally use my own builds, including
for x86_64), you do not need to know where the binary packages are,
since the R.app 'Package Installer' menu item and install.packages()
have the correct repositories pre-set.  If that is not working, you
need to set options(pkgType="mac.binary.leopard") (see ?options and
?install.packages).