[R] easiest way to extend and recompile a package?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jun 23 02:32:19 CEST 2009

On 22/06/2009 6:52 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of extending a package by directly adding stuff to its
> C++ code. And then I have to recompile the package.
>
> Do I have to download the whole R source repository, in order to do
> the recompilation? What is the minimal setup requirement for such a
> recompilation?

No, you just need to recompile the package.  The R Installation and
Administration tells you the necessary tools.  On Windows, those are
(mostly) packaged in the Rtools collection, available on my web page at
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools.

> I am using MSVC Express 2008 on Windows, is that okay?

It's certainly not sufficient, you need other tools.  You can compile
the DLLs for a package using whatever compiler you like, but the
build/install system in R for Windows assumes you're using the MinGW
port of gcc.  I don't know how much work it would be to switch to a
different compiler; you'll need to ask Microsoft for support on that.

Duncan Murdoch