[R] Fitting Mixture of Non-Central Student's t Distributions

David Hunter dhunter at stat.psu.edu
Mon Jun 15 17:12:54 CEST 2009

Hi Susanne.  The mixtools package does not do this automatically and I
would be surprised if there were any package that does.  However, it's
not in principle too difficult to write code to implement an EM
algorithm to search for a maximum likelihood estimator in a finite
mixture model.   Check out a reference on finite mixture models that
discusses EM algorithms (e.g., Section 2.2 of http://www.stat.psu.edu/~dhunter/papers/mixtools.pdf
  although there are undoubtedly better references out there for this
purpose).

In the case of components that are assumed to be noncentral Student t
distributions, you may have a bit of trouble since if I remember
correctly, it is not easy to do MLE even for the non-mixture case
here.  That said, in general, writing an EM algorithm for the finite-
mixture-model case is not much more difficult computationally than
writing code for MLE in the non-mixture case.  This means that you
could try expanding your search to include other packages that might
do MLE for the (non-mixture) case of noncentral t distributions.  If
such a package exists, then it shouldn't be too hard to write your own
mixture-model EM wrapper.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
Dave

David Hunter