[R] Centering graphics by default in Sweave

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Jun 15 15:43:36 CEST 2009

Frank and Fritz,

In follow up to Frank's post yesterday, I am including proposed
patches for Sweave.R and RweaveLatex.Rd. The patches are against the
current SVN main trunk.

The patches include a new Sweave option called 'center.fig', which
defaults to FALSE to preserve existing behavior. When this option is
set to TRUE, the \includegraphics command will be wrapped with a
\centerline command. This will allow for space preserving centering,
whether in a 'figure' environment or not, as compared to using
\begin{center}...\end{center}.

Frank, this option can be set on a per chunk basis:

   <<fig=TRUE,center.fig=TRUE>>=

or globally:

   \SweaveOpts{center.fig=TRUE}

I am also attaching an example .Rnw file and the associated PDF so
that you can see the resultant behavior under differing circumstances.

Regards,

Marc