[R] a proposal regarding documentation

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Mon Jun 15 13:06:00 CEST 2009

R 2.8.1, Firefox 3.0.11, windows XP
Philippe,
I suspect there are more substantial problems with the link to the WIKI
then you thought. When I tried your code I got a page that contained
nothing more than (excluding the nice graphic header and the index on
the left-hand page):

 Trace: » barplot
== Rwiki file not found! ==

There is a helpful discussion of adding labels to barplots here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2002-October/025879.html

This WIKI page is not at all useful,it does not as you suggested it
does not contain  the help page of ?barplot in wiki format as you
suggested int would!
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

>>> Philippe Grosjean <phgrosjean at sciviews.org> 6/15/2009 4:42 AM >>>
Ironically, this function is present since the beginning, although a
little buggy. If you try this in R on a computer that is connected to
the Internet:

wikihelp <- function(topic)
   browseURL(paste("http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/rhelp.php?id=",
     topic, sep = ""))
wikihelp("barplot")

You got the help page of ?barplot in wiki format (with a few
presentation bugs, but everything is there, basically)... plus a Wiki
discussion section where people can add more material, links, etc.

The help page is not physically contained in the wiki page, but it is a

file stored elsewhere on the R Wiki server, and that is supposed to be

updated regularly (but it is not the case for the moment). In the wiki

page you see, there is only a ~~RDOC~~ marker indicating where to
include the help page.

I have a problem with the R Wiki cache: until someone adds comments to

such a page, the content is not refreshed, but you just see ~~RDOC~~.

Try, for instance:

wikihelp("chisq.test")

If the engine thinks 'topic' is ambiguous, it displays a list of
possibilities (i.e., our wikihelp() function is somehow a mix of help()

and of apropos()). For instance:

wikihelp("help")

This should not be ambiguous, but it is considered as it currently by
rhelp.php (a minor bug probably easy to correct).

Finally, all wiki pages are spelled with lowercase. It is the same for

help pages. So,

wikihelp("RSiteSearch")
wikihelp("rsitesearch")

lead to the same rdoc:utils:rsitesearch wiki page. I have no solutions

for that!

So, to conclude, most of the required mechanism is already installed on

R Wiki. It  just needs a little bit of debugging and fine-tuning to
become completely operational. A little help here would be very
appreciated!

... and, of course, a refined version of the wikihelp() function must
be
made widely available to "reveal" this function. One could even
consider
to write a pager that displays local help page and warns if there are
comments on this topic posted on the wiki... or that link to a personal

wiki engine where everybody could add its own comments to the help
pages, with full-text search ability!

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (