[R] Sweave template

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jun 15 06:29:01 CEST 2009

Dear Group,

I have made significant improvements to our Sweave template, have made
the template self-contained (i.e., you can run it yourself and it will
find the datasets it needs), and have included the output pdf file.
This is at http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/SweaveTemplate .  You will
see in the pdf file the enhancements in how R code is pretty-printed,
and I have added an example where some R function output is suppressed
from the listing that Sweave typesets.  The new template also suggests
how to auto-document the computing environment at the end of the report,
and how to properly reference R and add-on packages.  Figures are
centered (but not as nicely as Marc Schwartz' approach) and better
defaults are used for axis label and tick mark label positioning.

Thanks to Romain Francois for providing the trick of suppressing parts
of R output (replacing it with ...) and Peter Ruckdeschel for his
excellent SweaveListingUtils package.  Suggestions for further
improvements are welcomed.

Frank