[R] a proposal regarding documentation

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:59:24 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Ted
Harding<Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> That is an interesting and potentially very fruitful idea. I'd like
> to propose a "quasi-readonly" mode in which wiki users could interpolate
> the comments at chosen points within the original text of a help-page
> (but without any alteration of the original), with the interpolation
> clearly marked by some kind of highlighting (e.g. change of font or
> colour).

Potentially, many comments could disrupt the flow of the
help page.  I think it might be better to only have links to the
comments which themselves are located below and even
that might be too disruptive.

Also, from an implementation viewpoint this would seem to add a
significant complication particularly when updating the help pages
with new versions of the help pages so I think it might be better
to just follow the formats of PHP and MySQL and keep it simple.