[R] a proposal regarding documentation

Patrick Burns pburns at pburns.seanet.com
Sun Jun 14 12:45:34 CEST 2009

Proposal

That a new mailing list be established
that pertains exclusively to R documentation.
The purpose of the list would be to discuss
weak sections of the documentation and
establish fixes for those weak spots.

Pro

If it works, there would be better documentation.

It would be an excellent opportunity for newish
and/or less technical people to contribute to R.
In some respects such people would be much more
valuable to the process than very experienced
people.

It could take some pressure off of R-core.

Con

It needs at least one person (and probably more)
with a strong commitment to make it work.  The
proposed changes would need to be installed, and
activity would need to be encouraged and focused.

Background

A couple weeks ago I sent a message suggesting that
people with issues about the documentation should
send a message about it.  I left the exact details
vague for two reasons:
1) I wasn't sure what the preferred details are.
2) I realized that if people actually followed
the suggestion and sent messages about documentation,
R-core would be overwhelmed and not especially happy.

Patrick Burns
patrick at burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com
(home of "The R Inferno" and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")