[R] need help with strsplit function

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 19:02:26 CEST 2009

Using strapply in gsubfn we can match by contents rather than
delimiter.  Parentheses in the regular expression
surround captured portions.  The first such captured portion is
any string not containing a dot.  We then follow that by matching
a dot and a second captured expression which is anything.
c just concatenates the captured strings into a vector of strings.

> x <- "a.b.c.d"
> library(gsubfn)
[[1]]
[1] "a"     "b.c.d"