[R] Using ADF.Test

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Jun 10 12:59:17 CEST 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, matifou wrote:

> ehxpieterse wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am quite new to R and would appreciate some guidance, if possible.
>>
>> I have imported a csv file: spread <- read.csv("Spread.csv")
>>
>> I get the following error when I try to run adf.test:
>>> adf.test(spread,alternative = c("stationary", "explosive"),0)
>> Error in embed(y, k) : 'x' is not a vector or matrix
>>
>> Why is this?
>
> What does class(spread) give?

"data.frame", almost certainly, which is not a vector or a matrix. The
original poster should access the relevant column, e.g. by spread[,1] or
spread$foo etc. or (even better) turn it into a proper "ts" object!

> You should try as.vector(spread) and see what happens

If spread is a 1-column data.frame, then that won't change anything.
That's because is.vector(as.vector(...)) is not necessarily TRUE. Consider

   x <- cars[, 1, drop=FALSE]
   is.vector(x)
   is.vector(as.vector(x))
   identical(x, as.vector(x))