[R] ridiculous behaviour printing to eps: labels all messed

maiya maja.zaloznik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 23:38:12 CEST 2009

Wow! Thank you for that Ted, a wonderfully comprehensive explanation and now
everything makes perfect sense!!

Regarding your last point, I would love to hear other people's experience. I
myself, as a complete newbie in both R and LaTeX, am perhaps not the best
judge... But there are several graphics packages that can be used directly
in LaTeX to do what you propose (the Latex Graphics Companion that I own is
about 1000 pages worth of material to help you not be able to make up your
mind..).

I have found postscript the easiest and most intuitive and you can write
postscript graphics directly in Latex using the pstricks package. So yes,
you are right, I could just use the data from R directly (and I hope that
when I become a dinosaur I will be able to create graphs just as beautiful
as yours!).

But there are R plots that I would rather not attempt to code myself, in
particular mosaic plots, so I prefer to import them from R as eps files and
then use psfrag to get the nice LaTeX typesetting for the labels, equations
etc. to make it "fit" visually.

But then with the sheer volume of options figuring out what is the optimal
combination for a particular application, or whether the learning curve is
worth it is always going to be an problem..
I guess for all that evolution with nothing ever going extinct, we will each
end up a very individual fossil.

Maja