[R] ridiculous behaviour printing to eps: labels all messed up!

maiya maja.zaloznik at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 02:00:18 CEST 2009

OK, this is really weird!

here's an example code:

t1<-c(1,2,3,4)
t2<-c(4,2,4,2)
plot(t1~t2, xlab="exp1", ylab="exp2")
dev.copy2eps(file="test.eps")

that all seems fine...

until you look at the eps file created, where for some weird reason, if you
scroll down to the end, the code reads:

/Font1 findfont 12 s
0 setgray
214.02 18.72 (e) 0 ta
-0.360 (xp1) tb gr
12.96 206.44 (e) 90 ta
-0.360 (xp2) tb gr

Which means, that the labels "exp1" and "exp2" get split up!?!?
Now visually that doesn't matter, but I use the labels to refer to them in
LaTeX using psfrag, so I have to know exactly what they are called in the
.eps file in order to reference them correctly.

I've tried other labels and the splitting up seems completely random i.e
doesn't have anything to do with the length of the label etc.

I am completely lost here, can someone help me figure out what is going on
here?

Maja