[R] Plot and lm

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Jun 4 20:52:12 CEST 2009

I think the problem is that plot's log axes are to the base 10
so the lm() call needs to use log10, not log.  E.g.,

   x<-101:200
   y<-sqrt(x)+1+runif(100)
   plot(x,y,log="xy")
   abline(col="red", lm(log(y)~log(x))) # nothing plotted
   abline(col="blue", lm(log10(y)~log10(x))) # passes through points

Expand the y axis a bit and you can see where the base-e line went:

   plot(x,y,log="xy", ylim=c(1,100))
   abline(col="red", lm(log(y)~log(x))) # plotted well above the points
   abline(col="blue", lm(log10(y)~log10(x))) # passes through points

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com