[R] SSOAP failing

Olivier Cailloux olivier.cailloux at ulb.ac.be
Wed Jun 3 12:07:17 CEST 2009

Dear list,

I am trying to use the SSOAP package to access a very simple SOAP
service, included as a demonstrator in the axis2 Apache package:
"Version" (takes no input parameters and should return a string with the
version number). The web service itself seems to be working as I could
access it using an other client (eclipse Web Server tester).

You will find the service wsdl here:
http://smg8.ulb.ac.be:8080/axis2/services/Version?wsdl, and informations
on the other services I tried here:
http://smg8.ulb.ac.be:8080/axis2/services/listServices.

I used the following commands:
    library("SSOAP")
    smg8Version <- SOAPServer("smg8.ulb.ac.be",
"axis2/services/Version", 8080)
    .SOAP(smg8Version, "getVersion", action=I("VersionHttpSoap11Endpoint"))

The first command seems to give a proper smg8Version object, but the
second one fails with "Error: evaluation nested too deeply: infinite
recursion / options(expressions=)?".

I tried different "action" values, because I don't know what I should
put there. But I always get the same error.

Also, FYI, the following command produces the following output:
    smg8Def <-
processWSDL("http://smg8.ulb.ac.be:8080/axis2/services/Version?wsdl",
verbose=TRUE)
processing (sub) schema http://axisversion.sample
1 ) Exception
2 ) Exception
3 ) getVersionResponse
Warning message:
In processWSDL("http://smg8.ulb.ac.be:8080/axis2/services/Version?wsdl",  :
  Ignoring additional <service><port> ... elements

and then

I also tried a simpler service (WSDL manually created myself, but I am
not sure it is correct although it validates):
    smg8EchoDef <-
processWSDL("http://smg8.ulb.ac.be:8080/axis2/services/EchoService?wsdl",
verbose=TRUE)
processing (sub) schema http://smg8.ulb.ac.be/echoSvc/
1 ) TheString
    genSOAPClientInterface(def = smg8EchoDef)
Error in def at operations[[1]] : subscript out of bounds
Indeed:
    length(smg8EchoDef at operations)
[1] 0