[R] lattice: horizontal alignment of labels in key

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 2 23:48:56 CEST 2009

Hi

Thomas Zumbrunn wrote:
> Dear R users
>
> I have problems horizontally aligning labels in keys of lattice plots when the
> labels make use of plotmath. Here's a self-contained example:
>
> dat <- data.frame(x = rnorm(10),
>                   y = rnorm(10),
>                   z = factor(rep(c("a", "b"), each = 5)))
> xyplot(y ~ x, dat, groups = z,
>        auto.key = list(columns = 2,
>          text = c(expression(plain("alright")),
>            expression(italic("too low")))))
>
> It seems like the grid object which the lattice function creates from the key
> arguments has different heights for the two labels since the second label does
> not stretch over the baseline.

I think the basic problem here is that mathematical expressions work
with the limits of bounding boxes rather than an overall baseline.  A
workaround is to use phantom() within the expression to introduce
elements with a consistent height that are not actually drawn.  For
example ...

xyplot(y ~ x, dat, groups = z,
        auto.key = list(columns = 2,
          text = c(expression(plain("alright")*phantom("hg")),
            expression(italic("too low")*phantom("hg")))))

... which forces both expressions to go as high as the top of an "h" and
as low as the bottom of a "g" without those characters being drawn
(although space is allowed for those characters so you get a bit of
blank horizontal space).

Paul

> Any ideas how I could circumvent the problem (other than manipulating the key
> grob)?
>
> Best wishes
> Thomas Zumbrunn

Dr Paul Murrell