[R] Odp: newbie help: simple operations in R

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Jun 2 13:18:05 CEST 2009

Hi

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 02.06.2009 12:22:49:

> Hi, i' d like to use R for simple calculations. I show you an examples
> make clear my help request
>
> I' ve a file .csv like this (my real file is composed by 10.000 lines
and 8
> columns)
>
> x y
> 3 4
> 1 7
>
> I' ve imported in R correctly. Now i want create a new variable named
"t"
> and t is defined throught this relation:
>
> t = 4 (second element on x column) * 4 (first element on y column)
>
> in what way can i calculate t and print its value on an external file
or,
> better, append t values as a column on my original csv???

It is rather difficult to evaluate what you really want to do. You say you
have 10000 rows and 8 columns and your small example has only 2 columns
and 2 rows.  Do you want to use third and subsequent row, or third and
further columns? If yes how?

If you want to multiply second with first and third with second and ...
than

DF <- data.frame(x=c(5,3,7), y=c(1,4,2))

drop the first item from x and last item from y and multiply

DF[-1,1]*DF[-3,2]

Regards
Petr