[R] write values of points beside points in plot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 20:58:45 CEST 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 2:27 PM, katharina wrote:

> I've calculated coefficient$intercept  for each site I took the data
> from.
> I want to plot this:
> plot(coefficient$intercept ~ coefficient$average_BM_leaves_needles,
> main="intercepts ::: BM_leaves_needles")
>
> with the site number being displayed for each point in the graph/plot
> The site numbers are stored in a list (coefficient$site_no)
>
> I know that the id of outliers in e.g. a boxplot is displayed beside
> the
> point
> in the graph representing the outlier (if outliers are included) and
> therefore
> I would like to know how it is possible to display a label beside a
> data
> point
> in the graph/plot?
>
> I hope I made myself more clear this time...?

You seemed reasonably clear the first time, but you appear not to have
understood the specific advice that Holtman offered. When someone on
this list gives you a response like ?text it does not mean they are
asking you a question. It means you should look at the help page for
the function text() by typing:

?text

... at the command line. (The brevity may also carry an implication
that had you offered executable example that there may have been a
more expansive or explicit answer. The ?<something> reply is an effort
to be slightly more helpful than RTFM.)

> jholtman wrote:
>>
>> ?text
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Katharina May
>> <may.katharina at googlemail.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> is it possible to write a certain value beside a point in a plot?
>>>
>>> I'm plotting the following:
>>> plot(coefficient$intercept ~ coefficient$average_BM_leaves_needles,
>>> main="intercepts ::: BM_leaves_needles",
>>>    ylab="intercepts", xlab="average BM_leaves_needles per site
>>> [kg]")
>>>
>>> and I want to have the value of coefficient$site_no written beside
>>> each point within the plot (to recognize them)
>>>
>>> sorry for troubling you with this question, but I somehow can't find
>>> any information on it
>>> (maybe because I'm not quite sure what to search for)
>>>

>> --
>> Jim Holtman
>> Cincinnati, OH
>> +1 513 646 9390
>>
>> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT