[R] Calling Fortran from C++

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Jun 1 18:51:53 CEST 2009

In addition, Fortran subroutines with character or logical arguments
may give you trouble on various platforms; avoid such arguments
in Fortran code you plan on calling from C/C++.  When Fortran passes
a character argument it also passes its length.  Some Fortran compilers
put the length at the end of the argument list and some put it right
after the character argument.  Some Fortran compilers encode the
logical .FALSE. as -1, some as 0, with .TRUE. being anything but
.FALSE.  I've seen one Fortran compiler that encoded .TRUE. as
the 8th bit from the left being 1 and .FALSE. as that bit being 0
(all other bits are ignored).

Unfortunately Lapack routines tend to have a character argument,
making them a pain to portably call from C/C++.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com