[R] Getting file name from pdf device?

cameron.bracken cameron.bracken at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:18:39 CEST 2009

Rainer M Krug-6 wrote:

> Hi
>
> IU would like to modify the dev.off function, so that it automatically
> compresses the created pdf.
> I am thinking of doing the following in the modified dev.off:
>
> 1) Get the filename of the pdf device
> 2) close the device by calling the original dev.off()
> 3) compress the pdf file with a system call of pdftk.

If you are the one who initiated the pdf device shouldn't you know the name
of the file? in that case just do something like:

my.dev.off <- function (file, which = dev.cur())
{
    if (which == 1)
        stop("cannot shut down device 1 (the null device)")
    .Internal(dev.off(as.integer(which)))
    #system call (or something similar)
    system(paste('pdftk',file))
    dev.cur()