[R] Systematic resampling

Giovanni Petris GPetris at uark.edu
Fri Jul 31 15:54:56 CEST 2009

Dear all,

This is the sequel to a question of mine a couple of days ago about how to
implement systematic resampling from a discrete distribution efficiently. (See
below the original question and description of the problem - the problem, in a
nutshell, is how to draw N points from a discrete distribution on N points).

I did my homework and found an implementation of systematic resampling which
is O(N) - my initial one was O(N^2). The code is given below. However,
compared with multinomial resampling, the difference in execution time is
huge. Is there anybody out there who sees a way of improving the efficiency of
my code?? Is coding it in C my only option?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and insight,
Giovanni

######### R example #########
> ### Timing systematic resampling
> set.seed(2)
> N <- 1e6
> x <- LETTERS[1 : N] # labels
> w <- rexp(N)
> w <- w / sum(w) # probabilities
> W <- cumsum(w) # cdf
> system.time({
+ u <- (0 : (N - 1) + runif(1)) / N
+ indexNew <- rep(0, N)
+ h <- 1
+ k <- 1
+ for (i in 1 : N)
+ {
+     j <- h
+     while (u[h] < W[k] && h <= N) h <- h + 1
+     indexNew[i] <- h - j
+     k <- k + 1
+ }
+ (y <- rep(x, indexNew))
+ })
   user  system elapsed
 12.791   0.073  12.887
> ### ...while using multinomial resampling:
> system.time(
+ index <- sample(N, N, replace = TRUE, prob = w)
+ )
   user  system elapsed
  0.344   0.020   0.366