[R] how to change the thickness of the lines of the boxplot outliers

Waverley waverley.paloalto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 00:16:05 CEST 2009

Thanks Paul.

I reproduced my problem using the example of the ?boxplot which is
also at http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/graphics/html/boxplot.html

The sample code is as following:
boxplot(count ~ spray, data = InsectSprays, col = "lightgray", lwd=40)

lwd = 40 is kind of exaggerating but does show the case: the circles
of outliers maintain the original length while the box becomes a black
bulb.

BTW: I am using linux redhat ES3.0 64 bit. R is 2.9.0 version.

Thanks.

>Hi

>Waverley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to use boxplot function. I am following the ?boxplot and can
> change the whisker box width using lwd parameter.  However, when
> outline=TRUE, the thickness of the circle of the outliers is not
> proportionally changed when I change the line width of the whisker
> box.  There must be another parameter for that.  Unfortunately I don't
> know.

This sounds like a problem that was recently fixed in the development
version.  It would be useful if you could send me (directly if you
like) a sample of code that produces the problem.

Paul

> please help and thanks much in advance.
>
> --
> Waverley @ Palo Alto