[R] warnings and errors

Jan M. Wiener mail at jan-wiener.net
Thu Jul 30 12:30:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am using R for a while now, but I have not yet been able to convince R
to produce helpful warnings or error messages. If you run a script that
sources other scripts it may take a while to understand which script
produced an error or a warning. For example, R tells you that warnings
exist and asks you to call warnings() which then tell you the call that
produced the warning but does not tell you from where the call originated.

I have seen the debug function,  but I find that rather complicated, as
one has to choose from a menu if errors occur and warnings are not
reported.

What I (one?) would love to have is a simple (standard) output that
tells you the filename and the line-number that produced an
error/warning. I find it hard to belief that this does not exist, and
would be most grateful for any suggestions.

jan

--
Dr. Jan M. Wiener
Centre for Cognitive Science