[R] cannot allocate a vector with 1920165909 length

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 03:59:18 CEST 2009

What are you trying to do?  The expand.grid will create an object with
10 billion rows with 5 variables.  My guess is that you would need 50G
* 8 bytes/word = 400GB just to hold the one object.  How much memory
do you have on your system?  Is there some other approach you can use?
 You may have problems since I think an object can only have 2^31
values and your would have quite a bit more.

I would suggest that you rethink your problem that you are trying to solve.