[R] install package from CRAN

Wed Jul 29 02:49:37 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Jul 28, 2009, at 8:36 PM, cindy Guo wrote:

> Hi, Steve,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I did the same thing:
>  install.packages('mvtnorm')
> -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `'mvtnorm''
>
> I think what may cause difference is that I am using a unix cluster
> of my university, so I am not the administrator. Do I need to set
> the path?

I think I remember R installing into an alternative lib directory in
your home directory if you didn't have access to your system's R
library directory automatically. I believe R creates a default
directory if you don't specify one, otherwise you can make your own R/
library directory somewhere you have access to and pass that into the
install.packages function, like:

install.packages('mvtnorm', lib='/the/path/to/your/personal/R/library')

I'm not sure, though, this actually looks like a different/worse
problem because the error your get seems to be coming from your unix
shell .. as if R is doing something like a "system" call but the
command it's sending is malformed.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou