[R] Downloaded file is larger than the starting file

DeWitt Payne dewitt_payne at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 08:35:13 CEST 2009

I'm running R for windows 2.9.1.  When I use a script to download a file from the internet, the file is 1,496 bytes larger than the reported file size in the download process.  It doesn't give the correct answer when I process it but it doesn't appear to be completely corrupt as the processing script runs.  I can download the file from Firefox and the size of the downloaded file is correct.  I tried starting with the internet2 flag set and it didn't help.  The url of the file is:
http://iup.physik.uni-bremen.de:8084/amsredata/asi_daygrid_swath/l1a/n6250/2009/jun/asi-n6250-20090603-v5.hdf . Is this a bug or do I have some configuration problem with my computer?

Thanks,

DeWitt Payne