[R] local regression using loess

Alain Zuur highstat at highstat.com
Tue Jul 28 12:51:42 CEST 2009

cindy Guo wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> I have a dataset with binary response ( 0 and 1) and some numerical
> covariates. I know I can use logistic regression to fit the data. But I
> want
> to consider more locally. So I am wondering how can I fit the data with
> 'loess' function in R? And what will be the response: 0/1 or the
> probability
> in either group like in logistic regression?
>
> Thank you,
> Cindy
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Why don't you fit a GAM with a logistic link function and binomial
distirbution?

Alain

-----
Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Email: highstat at highstat.com